Got a lot of strawberries on hand at the end of the summer? Make yourself a shortcake for a show-stopping dessert after a fresh meal.
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup lemon-lime soda
- 3/4 cup liquid sweetener (maple syrup, agave, etc.)
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup almond milk (can sub in other non-dairy milks!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350°F and grease a standard loaf pan.
2. Vigorously whisk together the flax seed & water until frothy. Whisk in the rest of the wet ingredients. Whisk together the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
3. Gently stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
4. Pour the batter into the loaf pan, making sure not to fill over 3/4 of the pan. (If you have extra batter, you can bake the rest in cupcake tins if you like!) Bake your cake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top comes back springy at the touch. While you let your cake cool, make the toppings.
5. To make the ‘quick glazed’ strawberries, just slice your clean strawberries into a big bowl and drizzle with the maple syrup, then toss to coat. (Alternately, you can coat the strawberries with equal parts regular sugar and let sit in the fridge for 24 hours to have more tender, macerated strawberries.)
6. Take your coconut milk out of the fridge and scoop the solid coconut out of the can. Whip it up using a hand mixer. (Alternately, you can absolutely just use your favorite whipped cream!) If it’s hot out, keep the whipped cream in the fridge until you’re ready to serve. If you want to make this outside of this recipe, add a tablespoon of sweetener - we don’t need it here because of the sugar in the strawberries.
7. When the cake is cool, slice off the top to make an even base. Slice the cake in half lengthwise to create a second layer. Spoon on half the whipped cream on the first layer, then top with berries. Repeat with the second layer. Serve chilled, and enjoy!