Frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Banana Bites
Want something cold and sweet to eat on hot, humid days? These frozen banana bites - complete with salted peanut butter & pretzels - are a little fancier and easier to eat than whole frozen bananas, and take very little active prep time. They’re as easy to prepare as a sandwich, just with more freezing. The mix of sweet, salty, and creamy (plus chocolate coating!) is divine - a perfect snack for summer.
- 24 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 large bananas
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- waffle-shaped or mini classic pretzels (some brands use egg in their pretzels, so watch out)
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
Part One: basic banana
- Fill a saucepan with the chocolate chips. Fill a larger pot with water. Place the chocolate chip pot in the water pot, and put on medium-low heat. (If you have a double boiler, feel free to use that instead of our cheap version!) Let the chocolate chips heat until they start to melt, or about 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a cookie tray with wax or parchment paper. Slice the bananas into 1/4 inch pieces.
- When ready, stir the chips together until consistent & creamy. Using a small spoon, make thin chocolate discs on the cookie tray. (You won’t need to use all the chocolate right now, just set it aside for later.)
- Once the tray’s full, place a banana slice on each chocolate circle. Freeze for at least 1-2 hours.
Part Two: assembling the bites
- Mix the peanut butter & salt together. Spread a thin layer on top of each banana slice. Top with a pretzel.
- To get the chocolate more pourable, put it back on the heat and add in the oil. Stir to combine and heat for a few minutes, or until liquid and emulsified.
- Meanwhile, place the bites on a cookie cooling tray on top of the parchment/wax paper.
- Pour the chocolate over top of the banana bites, making a sort of ribbon motion, so each is covered.
- Put the whole thing (the cooling tray & paper-covered cookie tray) back in the freezer and chill for 1-2 more hours.
Enjoy frozen or thawed!