This recipe is a cinch to make - besides pressing time, it takes less than 5 minutes to go from ingredients to plate. Not only that, but it really does taste JUST like how I’ve always remembered it. Nothing could be better than that, in my (vegan) book.
Makes enough for 4 sandwiches
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo
- 2 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (optional - if you like that tangy kind of mayo add this in for extra flavor)
- pinch of salt & pepper (to taste)
- Press your tofu to get the excess liquid out. Wrap the tofu in a tea towel and place it between two plates, then (securely) put something heavy on top. Let it press for 20-30 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, stir together in a medium bowl the mayo, sriracha, mustard, and turmeric. (And vinegar if you like.)
- Unwrap your pressed tofu and cut it into a small dice. If you like your salad a different way, like chopped smaller or bigger or more messy, do it how you would normally like it.
- Carefully stir the chopped tofu into the mayo mixture until thoroughly coated. Sprinkle on the salt & pepper and taste to see if you want to add anything else. Depending on how much liquid was pressed out, I like to add more or less of the mayo until it’s the right texture.
- Toast up some bread and enjoy your sandwich!