We don't make cake often, but when we do it's usually in the spring. There's something so satisfying about heating up the house with the oven on a chilly spring weekend morning, and trying fresh flavors in something sweet & filling.
This carrot cake is moist and fluffy on the inside, with a crisp crust on top. The best part is the velvety, lightly sweet frosting on top - definitely make double if you like creamy frosting!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseed, whisked with 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 cup dried coconut
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flaxseed with the water, then stir in the sugar, vegetable oil and milk.
- Add in the dry ingredients, then fold in the grated carrots, coconut and walnuts. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased round cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- While your cake is baking, pour all the frosting ingredients into a saucepan and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every so often to make sure it doesn't burn. Let the cashews soak with the burner turned off for another 20 minutes. Then blend until smooth.
Once the cake is cool, spread the warm frosting on the top of the cake. Enjoy!