Editor's Note: This post and recipe were written by Jamie Lee Mock from The Fresh Method, a beautiful food & lifestyle blog. Be sure to follow her on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest for lots of inspiration!
Springtime: a time of awakening, growth, and light. We’re ready to shed our winter “skin” and what better way to do this than through food. Each ingredient of this salad offers a detoxifying component.
Fresh-squeezed lemon juice helps to stimulate our digestive system and work to detoxify the liver and cleanse the blood. Also, when foods rich in vitamin C (like lemons and red peppers) are paired with a high-iron food like lentils, the digestive absorbability is drastically increased.
This leafy green works to rid the body of heavy metals as well as detoxify the liver. The chemical compounds in cilantro actually bind to toxins, loosening them from the blood, tissues, and organs and assisting with their elimination from the body.
Antiviral and antibacterial properties are two of the main benefits. Garlic helps stimulate the liver to produce detoxification enzymes that help filter toxins from the digestive system.
Also a powerful detox food due to its sulfur-containing compounds, which aid in the release of toxins and heavy metals from the liver.
The phytochemical component of turmeric, known as curcumin is known to stimulate the production of bile by the gallbladder. The liver uses bile to eliminate toxins; bile also rejuvenates liver cells that breakdown harmful compounds. For this reason, turmeric has been used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine to treat digestion and liver disorders.
Makes 4 Servings
- 2 cups green lentils
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- handful cilantro, chopped
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp agave or maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- dash of cayenne powder
- coarse sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse lentils and place in a pot. Pour in 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, about 30 minutes.
- While the lentils cook, chop the onion, red pepper, and cilantro and place in a serving bowl
- For the dressing, pour all ingredients in a mason jar (or similar sealed container) and shake to combine.
- When the lentils are cooked, drain and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Mix the lentils in with salad ingredients and toss. Drizzle in the dressing and toss again to coat.
- Add leftover cilantro and lemon zest to garnish.
This salad tastes best when left to meld together in the fridge overnight. (Perfect for lunches during the week.) Keep in an airtight glass container and it will be good for up to 3-4 days. Enjoy!