We've got one last delicious chocolate recipe for you before this Valentine's weekend, and it is so good. You could eat them for breakfast or as a snack, or hot out of the oven for the perfect dessert. They're rich and chocolatey, with tart & creamy (vegan) cheesecake topping.
This recipe comes from Daria Sulima, one of our favorite contributors. Be sure to follow her on Facebook too!
For the chocolate cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (we used half dutch-processed and half black cocoa powder, but standard cocoa powder works fine too)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (we used almond)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp cherry jam
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cherry jam, reserved for topping
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 4 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- seeds from 1/4 vanilla stick (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Start by preparing your topping. Drain & rinse your soaked cashews. Place all the cheesecake ingredients and blend until very smooth.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. (All-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, rolled oats, cocoa powder, soda and baking powder.)
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. (Milk, oil, jam, and sugar.)
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry, and fold it all together with a spatula until just combined.
- Pour the chocolate batter into greased muffin cups to half full, spoon the cashew 'cheese' on top and add 1 tsp cherry jam. Don't worry about spreading out the jam too much, as it'll melt a bit in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the chocolate.
(We also successfully made mini-muffins using a mini-muffin tray and reducing the time by about 10 minutes.)
This recipe makes enough for 12 muffins, or 24 mini-muffins.
Enjoy, and have a great weekend!